5 Most Important Tips to Protect Your Unmanaged VPS Serverweb hosting
While choosing Virtual Server Hosting allows site owners to leverage the benefits of a virtual server, choosing between managed and unmanaged services determines the amount of control they get over their hosting environment. Most site owners who are technically skilled or have a dedicated technical team to take care of their VPS Server tend to choose Unmanaged VPS Hosting.
Today, we are going to share the five most important tips to help you protect your Unmanaged VPS Server.
Tip 1. Use a strong password
One of the first things that you need to do is ensure that you set a strong password for your VPS Hosting Server. One of the main reasons behind hackers gaining access to your server with a brute force attack is a weak password. Ensure that you use at least ten characters in your password with one or more capital letters, special characters, and numbers. Avoid using any easily guessable words or phrases from your personally identifiable information. Also, don’t use the same password across multiple email addresses, web hosting accounts, and online banking accounts. If you do so and a hacker gains access to either, they will have open access to all your accounts.
Tip 2. Change the default SSH port
A VPS Server offers complete root access that allows you to change port numbers. Usually, Secure Socket Shell or SSH has 22 as the default port number. Hackers attempt to gain unauthorized access to your hosting server using this port. Ensure that you login to your VPS as a root user and change the port number to add another layer of security to your VPS. Use the root access optimally to boost the security of your site.
Tip 3. Set up a firewall
A server firewall is the first line of defense against any cyber-attack or malicious code. Installing and configuring the firewall based on your site’s needs ensures that you have better control over the security of your server.
Tip 4. Enable server monitoring
Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks can cause havoc on the server and disrupt your site along with its data. There’s a straightforward way of preventing a DDoS attack. Install software that scans the log files and analyzes them to identify any unauthorized login attempts and notifies you instantly. You can also use software that checks the validity of your website’s certificates and the availability of sufficient resources like server space and bandwidth for your site to avoid any hacker taking advantage of a loophole.
Tip 5. Backup
Despite the security measures, sometimes malicious code can get through your site’s defenses and cause havoc. It can disrupt your website and may result in unexpected downtime. Hence, you need to ensure that you always have the latest working copy of your site backed up on an offline server. It will help you restore your website without losing a lot of business and brand reputation.
A Virtual Private Server is more secure than traditional hosting services. If you are choosing Unmanaged VPS Hosting for your website, then ensure that you follow the measures discussed above and take additional security measures based on your site’s needs to keep it secure. Opt for a hosting server provider that offers a highly secure and customizable VPS Hosting setup.
A website that has frequent security issues loses credibility with its users and search engines in no time. So, don’t leave any stone unturned. Good Luck!
Written by up3s
- Why Businesses Hire Web DesignersIn web hostingAugust 25, 2018
- Popular App Categories for Your SmartphoneIn Mobile PhonesSeptember 2, 2018
- Making Quality SEO Back Links For Search Engine ViabilityIn seoAugust 28, 2018
- How an SEO Expert Can Help YouIn Social MediaAugust 23, 2018
- What are some common benefits of VPS Hosting Servers?In web hostingNovember 20, 2019
- UX Design – Flame TestIn Mobile PhonesAugust 22, 2018
- Get the O.s. You Like by Setting Up Microsoft Windows in a Personalized WayIn SoftwareFebruary 9, 2018
- Inside Anywhereo Labs, Ex Asset Firm Founder takes on start up acceleratorIn TechnologyNovember 26, 2020
- Identifying the satisfactory corporation to hire for SEO Services in SingaporeIn TechnologyJune 11, 2020
- How to Set Up Google Pay App on Your AndroidIn TechnologyJuly 16, 2020
- Adjusting To Build Your Network Marketing Internet BusinessIn SoftwareFebruary 6, 2018
- HYPT, Offers and Exclusive Access To Top Brands And Restaurants At Your FingertipsIn Social MediaJuly 24, 2020
- Win More Business With Sales Techniques That Work ConsistentlyIn TechnologyJuly 18, 2018
- The Age of Machines and Big DataIn seoAugust 29, 2018
- Utilizing Unique Article Marketing to Jazz Up Your SEO CampaignIn seoAugust 28, 2018
- 10 Ways to Measure Audience Engagement at Your EventIn TechnologyAugust 20, 2018
- Looking to work at a translation agency? Here’s what you need to knowIn TechnologyMay 28, 2020
- Inside Anywhereo Labs, Ex Asset Firm Founder takes on start up accelerator
- 5 Most Important Tips to Protect Your Unmanaged VPS Server
- COVID-19 Offers a Stark Reminder of the Single-Use Mindset
- HYPT, Offers and Exclusive Access To Top Brands And Restaurants At Your Fingertips
- How to Set Up Google Pay App on Your Android
- Launch a Career in ITIL: The ITIL Foundation Certification
- Wireless Sensor Network Design Methodologies: A Survey
- Identifying the satisfactory corporation to hire for SEO Services in Singapore
- Professional Translation vs Computerized Translations
- Looking to work at a translation agency? Here’s what you need to know